A view by Brannon showing Ryde. In the foreground is the area on which St. John's Park was to be built
The area known as Preston Park was sold for building purposes by auction in 1865, as was also Amphill Road and other large areas of the estate leaving only about 16-20 acres.
The school on Gassiot Green was built in memory of J.P. Gassiot by his son Charles. In 1878 when Charles laid the foundation stone the Rev. Henry Ewbank, vicar of St. John's Church for 31 years from 1867 to 1898, and his curate took part in the ceremony which was attended by many people. (At this time the Rev. Ewbank's living from the church was £140 per year).
It was the school to which children of the estate were sent and it operated a voucher system whereby pupils would daily hand in a voucher they had been supplied with as payment for their education.
Three managers of the school lived at St. John's. Miss Gladys Johnston and General Henry Carr Tate and his wife (Anne Gassiot) who also took a keen interest in the place, helping with and organizing the help of local ladies in the teaching of reading, needlework and cookery.
Today the school is empty having been the original site of Oakfield Church of England Primary School. The village of Oakfield itself appeared around the 1830's and was originally known as Canada, possibly a connection with the original owner Colonel Amherst. Apparently Canada was filthy and unpleasant and avoided by the rest of Ryde.
Next we come to the church of St. John the Baptist which was consecrated on the 18 July, 1843 and built on land given for the purpose by Sir Richard Godin Simeon. This land, before the building of the church, had hot houses on it and was originally part of the adjoining Troublefield Farm.
The first plans were produced in 1841 and work began in the following year. The architect was Thomas Hillyer of Ryde and it was built by the local firm of Charles Langdon & Co. for
£1,630 19s 2d, the money coming from private subscriptions. It was originally smaller than it is now with certain structural differences such as the position of the main door which, although still on the north side of the church, was about half-way along the nave.
The St. John's graveyard is situated some distance away near Westridge Cross.
More recently three more buildings have appeared during the life of St. John's as a school. The first was the Practical Block (Now Oakfield's KS2 Block), which consists of two storeys and was built in 1951. The next was the long bungalow block which houses the second year and this was opened in 1966. Then came the new block comprising kitchens, hall and classrooms. This addition was opened at Easter 1970. These buildings reduced the need for the school annexe in Green Street which is now no longer part of the school Recent years have seen further additions such as the Log Cabin in 1999 which was originally the music base for Bishop Lovett but now forms Oakfield's KS1 Hall. Then in 2007 the new build of the Bishop Lovett Year 7 block but now, Oakfield's early Years Unit. Finally mobile units come and go but the most recent major changes are the adaptations to the school's buildings and fencing to officiate the transfer for the younger pupils of Oakfield CE (Aided) Primary School.
Today the original estate although containing Oakfield, Elmfield and numerous private houses is still a unit, although now an electoral one, being the main part of an electoral ward known as St. John's.